Even though pregnancy brings countless sleepless nights, hormone surges, strange body changes, body aches, swollen feet, and of course, dreadful morning sickness, it is undoubtedly an exciting, memorable experience that is full of surprises for expecting parents. If you are a pregnant mother, you know how it feels.
Pregnancy is a beautiful experience, but it is also a crucial period for managing expectant mothers’ health. To give birth to a healthy baby, the pregnant mother needs to keep her health in check.
As your body adjusts to new changes, it is essential to keep your food intake and well-being into consideration. A proper diet, appropriate resting, and getting some exercise can ease many of the uncomfortable experiences of being pregnant.
However, not all kinds of activities are suitable for expectant mothers as they can be strenuous and tiresome. Yoga is a popular choice amongst pregnant women as it is safe to practice during pregnancy and keeps your body fit and healthy.
Prenatal Yoga and its Benefits during Pregnancy
According to Mayoclinic, Prenatal Yoga is an effective way to help you stay relaxed, calm, and physically fit during your pregnancy. Yoga balances your body and mind, relieving symptoms of anxiety, keeping your body calm and relaxed.
The breathing techniques it has to offer are ideal for stress release during pregnancy and allow you to practice mindfulness regularly. Yoga effectively decreases stress levels, and it balances your mind and body and adapts them to the changes your body goes through during pregnancy.
- During pregnancy, it is quite common for women to experience body aches due to the pressure exerted by the growing baby. Yoga is a useful exercise for strengthening your core muscles and ultimately reducing symptoms of pain and allowing you to carry the increasing weight of your baby. It targets your core muscles and improves the body’s ability to adapt to the growing importance of the baby. It even relieves nausea, headaches, and improves sleep.
- As claimed by WebMD, women tend to gain about 20 to 25 pounds during pregnancy. Your body can sometimes struggle with the extra weight you are carrying. It is essential to maintain a proper healthy diet and to get an adequate amount of exercise regularly to maintain a healthy, appropriate weight. Yoga is a straightforward exercise that can strengthen your body and aids in getting rid of excess fat effectively. Several yoga poses are pregnancy-friendly.
Prenatal Yoga is a successful alternative to other kinds of exercises during pregnancy as it is safe and provides positive results
- By doing Prenatal Yoga regularly, you can prepare and strengthen your body for the event of childbirth. The breathing techniques aid in calming and relaxing the body and mind during birth. Prenatal Yoga also helps in decreasing the intensity of pain experienced during labour.
Why get a Prenatal Yoga DVD to Guide you through your Pregnancy Journey
Due to its proven results in improving the pregnancy experience for many women, Prenatal Yoga has been gaining popularity significantly, and for all the right reasons. It balances your mind, body, and soul while also keeping you physically active. It teaches the body breathing techniques which improve mindfulness and general well-being.
Time is of the essence for pregnant mothers, and it might be difficult for them to attend any fitness classes, or they might just simply not be in the mood for them.
If you are a busy expecting woman who wants to stay active and healthy during your pregnancy, prenatal yoga DVDs will allow you to workout wherever you want, whenever you have the time. You do not even have to leave your house with an aching back anymore; prenatal yoga DVDs are available online.
All you require is a yoga mat, and your virtual teacher will guide you through the rest. These workouts can be paused if the body feels hot and tired, thus making things easier for pregnant women.
Yes, it is that simple. To save you your precious pre-birth bonding time, we have combined a list of the best prenatal yoga DVDs available online.
Out of many yoga DVDs, the DVDs that made it to the list are practical and super easy to follow, making your entire exercise experience pleasant and productive.
1. Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea
Shiva Rea, the director of Prana Vinyasa yoga, is a quite popular, excellent yoga instructor with a huge fan base. Her works include yoga journals, yoga videos, and prenatal yoga tutorials, which are available online.
This DVD features women in different stages of pregnancy to make it easier for pregnant women to form a stance for every trimester. It includes meditation guides and breathing techniques to reduce symptoms of anxiety and help the body and mind relax. The Yoga poses offered in this 70 minutes long work out is easy and beginner level with mild seated and standing postures, requiring much less effort. They’re also explained thoroughly and slowly, enabling the listener to take in all the knowledge.
The poses strengthen your body and reduce any pain and inflammation in the legs or back, and they increase your stamina to prepare the body for labour. Guided relaxation techniques make the experience of giving birth less stressful.
- The instructor is pregnant, and the DVD features women in different trimesters
- It offers detailed modifications to adjust to the changes your body goes through.
- The instructions can be mildly confusing
- The workout does not require a lot of physical effort and is more focused on relaxation techniques and stretches.
2. Crunch Yoga Mama
The Crunch Yoga Mama DVD features a 45-minute video including various breathing and stretching prenatal yoga exercises with natural pregnancy-friendly poses for every trimester, keeping you fit, active, calm, and improving your blood circulation and digestion. Who knew Prenatal Yoga could help with the awful morning sickness?
The video has a virtual classroom with women in different trimesters of pregnancy and a chatty, super friendly yoga instructor, making the whole experience very real. The calming, powerful music in the background enables you to let go of your stresses and just relax at the moment. The breathing methods and stretches will improve your stamina, health, and make your body ready for childbirth.
- The instructor is pregnant and the DVD features women in different trimesters
- It offers detailed modifications to adjust to the changes your body goes through.
- The instructor is chatty and might be distracting
3. Prenatal Yoga with Desi Bartlett
Desi Bartlett is a well-known professional yoga instructor who teaches prenatal yoga techniques to stay fit and active during pregnancy. The video features easy-to-follow yoga poses that are suitable for pregnant women ranging from gentle seated poses to standing poses.
The routine work out for each trimester is bound to increase your stamina and strengthen your body for childbirth. The DVD includes guided meditation techniques and breathing exercises to help calm your body and relieve pain and stress.
With the mild, soothing music, it is an overall very relaxing experience. If you are expecting and need to get some exercise, this DVD might be the best guide for you. The DVD also contains ten extra minutes of prenatal yoga workout. It is super easy to follow and understand. Additionally, the DVD features Spanish and English audio tracks and subtitles.
- It features easy-to-follow instructions and poses, making it great for beginners
- The yoga poses are mild and gentle, providing relaxation and pain relief
- The Yoga poses in this DVD are basic and beginner level. The DVD is not suitable for professional yoga learners.
4. Prenatal Vinyasa Yoga with Julie Schoen
This prenatal yoga workout DVD features Julie Schoen, a certified yoga instructor, and her 60-minute long prenatal yoga workout routine, which helps expectant mothers with stress release, pain relief and ensures the strength of their bodies.
The Vinyasa Yoga poses are easy-to-follow for pregnant women and keep their bodies calm and focused while also strengthening muscle and bone structure. With gentle music and deep guided relaxation meditation techniques, this yoga DVD is perfect for pregnant mothers.
All you need is a floor, a mat, and a quiet place to let the wonders of this powerful yoga technique get to you. This DVD allows you to bond with your baby, be mindful, stay active, and prepares your body for childbirth, mentally and physically, at the same time!
- It offers beginner-friendly workouts
- The gentle stretches and poses effectively reduce levels of pain and stress.
- The workout requires some necessary props to provide support and balance to the body
- The transition poses are rough, making the yoga experience a little hard to keep up with
5. Prenatal Vinyasa Yoga with Jennifer Wolfe
This yoga DVD offers a safe, vital Prenatal Vinyasa yoga session with Jennifer Wolfe, keeping you healthy and fit during your pregnancy, and preparing your body for childbirth.
The 2-set DVD features flexible Yoga poses with easy-to-follow instructions, and several different length workouts, making Yoga easier than it has ever been before; you can do this work out for as long as you like. Various yoga practices are adapted to each trimester, so the workouts change as your body changes.
The DVD also provides 5 to 15 minutes of relaxation techniques and breathing exercises to help you relax and prepare your mind and body for labour. Additionally, this DVD features bonding yoga techniques to help you connect with your partner and baby. Even more, Jennifer Wolfe’s prenatal yoga DVD also includes poses to aid in labour.
- Easy-to-follow instructions
- It lets you decide workout duration
- Fit and active work out practices
- It features advanced yoga poses which are not suitable for beginners
- A workout routine can be tiring
Choosing the Right Prenatal Yoga DVD for Yourself
Before buying a prenatal yoga DVD, you must keep a few things in mind. Firstly, you will have to consider talking to a medical health professional for approval, so that it is safe for you to exercise. Secondly, choosing the right workout intensity is crucial.
If you are a beginner, go for gentle beginner-level workouts, and if you are familiar with Yoga and flexible enough, you can opt for advanced level workouts. Thirdly, if you want to pursue Yoga for stress relief, you might wish to DVDs that feature guided meditation and relaxation techniques.
If you’re going to stay active and healthy, look for DVDs that provide strengthening workouts that target your core muscles. Lastly, having the right yoga instructor can enhance your yoga experience and provide you with a chance to bond with your body and your baby. There are many DVDs with numerous instructors out there. Pick an instructor that is certified and highly recommended.
Conclusion and our top DVD pick
All of the prenatal yoga DVDs mentioned above make your entire pregnancy experience even better. They are all incredibly effective workouts offered by highly recommended popular yoga instructors, but our favourite DVD is Jennifer Wolfe’s Prenatal Vinyasa Yoga DVD.
Although it is a little expensive as compared to the other DVDs mentioned in the list, this DVD features yoga poses with flexibility and stretching, strengthening your muscles and increasing stamina, ultimately preparing the body for childbirth.
It offers practices for different lengths of time; 15, 30, 45, and 75, allowing you to decide how much you want to work out in a session.
The models featured in the DVD are in different stages of pregnancy, and the prenatal yoga poses are comfortable for every trimester, making the DVD a successful yoga guide throughout your pregnancy. Yoga has been effectively helping women during pregnancy and childbirth for years.